Wednesday, May 12, 2010

BANOS ECUADOR

BANOS  ECUADOR
Four hours south of Quito, still in the highlands is a bite size gem where I met up with an internet friend and enjoyed a stay out in the jungle as well as the town of Banos itself.
Linda is known as the gringo queen of the jungle and  has many Ecuadorian friends after many years living down here as well as in the US. She has managed to build a brilliant house in the jungle with huge access problems. Ater getting a bus for 40 mins you still have to walk for an hour to get in there so everything had to be carried in ‘one way or another’ as I found out. haha! She has 2 german shepherd dogs and a schizophrenic cat and a thousand interesting stories and was well met.
The town is very pretty surrounded by very high mountains with a roaring river flowing through the valley floor. One really nice afternoon I did the walk up the 654 steps to the statue of  The Virgin of the Holy Water which gave a great view of the town. I had a great week here after the standout of the Galapagos and in its own way it proved to be another highlight of my trip. Thanks to Linda and all her friends that I met while there